European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) citizens do not need a visa to live and work in the Netherlands. Citizens of other countries generally need a residence permit.

Short-stay residence permit: This is issued for stays of up to 90 days. The employer must also apply for a work permit called a TWV.

Long-term residence permits: These permits are for longer than 90 days and vary according to the type of employment. In many cases a long-stay visa called an MVV is also required.

  • Intra-corporate transferees: For employees of a non-EU company who are transferred to a branch in the Netherlands. The employer must apply for this permit.

  • Highly skilled migrant: Employers must be recognized as a sponsor by the IND and are responsible for applying for this permit. This category applies to “high-level positions,” lecturers, researchers, and related occupations.

  • European Blue Card: This option is available to certain qualified individuals. Applications can be submitted by either the employer or the employee and the term is tied to the length of the work contract.

  • Work in paid employment: This is the standard type of permit for work in the Netherlands and applies to a range of employment types.

Meltzer Hellrung’s services include:

  • Full assessment of the applicant under existing visa laws and regulations

  • Assistance at each step of the process: visa application, work authorization, residence permit, extensions, renewals, etc.

  • 24/7 access to our case management system to track real-time status of applications and monitor upcoming expiration dates or other requirements

  • Document procurement for legalization, attestation, police clearance certification, proof of birth/marriage/citizenship, etc.

  • Accompaniment and assistance upon arrival in the Netherlands

Contact is to learn more about how we can help streamline the visa and immigration process.