Contact Us Today

News & Resources

Can I File to Start a US Company Without a Social Security Number?

Posted February 19, 2015Matthew MeltzerArticles, Entrepreneurship

As previously discussed on this blog, there is no visa status required to start a new company in the United States. However, when starting a new company, you must acquire an Employment Idenitification Number (EIN) from the IRS. The EIN is necessary for tax purposes, as well as general business needs like opening a bank account.

To acquire an EIN you need a social security number. What should you do if you do not are outside the US or otherwise do not have a social security number?

You should retain a lawyer, or another qualified individual, to act as the third party designee for the corporation (if you do not have a partner or co-owner who is a US citizen). This designee should prepare Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number) and Form 8821 (Tax Information Authorization) for the corporation’s president to sign and return.

For more information about immigration options for entrepreneurs, please contact us directly.