Partner and Co-Founder
Matt works with small companies, including entrepreneurs, as well as multi-national corporations. Matt focuses on employment-based immigration and has filed thousands of petitions in numerous visa categories, including: B-1, E-2, F-1, H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, I, L-1, O-1, P-1, P-3, and TN. In addition he has filed green card petitions in multiple employment categories, including: EB-1 Extraordinary Ability, EB-1 Multinational Managers, PERM, Schedule A Nurses & Physical Therapists, Schedule A Exceptional Ability, and EB-5 Investors. Matt advises companies regarding employee hiring and I-9 compliance, reorganizations and mergers, and government inspections.
Prior to co-founding Meltzer Hellrung LLC, Matt was a Supervising Attorney with VISANOW, PC.
Matt is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the Illinois State Bar Association.
Matt graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, cum laude, with a B.A. in political science, and earned his J.D. from Boston College Law School.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- October 10, 2017: "Visas, International Students and Starting a Company". University of Illinois - Technology Entrepreneur Center.
- April 12, 2017: "Business Immigration - What Do I Need to Know?" Catapult Chicago.
- December 1, 2016: "Visas, International Students and Starting a Company". University of Illinois - Technology Entrepreneur Center.
- September 26, 2016: "Immigration Options for Start-Up Entrepreneurs and Employees". 1871
- May 16, 2016: Quoted in ChicagoInno, "How America Disrupts Its Immigrant Entrepreneurs"
- May 16, 2016: Presentation on accepting equity as payment. American Immigration Lawyer's Association - Chicago Chapter, 2016 Spring Ethics Conference.
- January 14, 2016: "Nuts & Bolts of Immigration for Non-Resident Employees and Entrepreneurs". University of Chicago Booth School of Businees.
- March 2, 2015: FWD.US press call with Rep. Bob Dold (IL-10).
- February 26, 2015, June 16, 2015: Presentation on "Immigration for New Businesses and Entrepreneurs" at 1871.
- August 20, 2014: "Immigration for Employment Lawyers: Pointers, Practices, and Practical Considerations". State Bar of Wisconsin: Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute.